Sunday 14 September 1947
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Joan Thirkettle and Wolfgang Schwartz.
Dark Passage, directed by Delmer Daves, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Author Meets the Critics.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1947!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1947 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Joan Thirkettle: Journalist.
- Wolfgang Schwartz: Austria -- Figure skater (1968 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Jon "Bowser" Bauman in Queens: New York, USA; singer (Sha Na Na).
- Jon ''Bowzer'' Bauman: American singer (Sha Na Na).
- Jean-François Colonna: French researcher in applied mathematics at l'Ecole Polytechnique located in Palaiseau near Paris.
- Edith Martinet: French newsmaker, who campaigned with the help of lawyer Jean-Marie Rouart for the release of Bruno Joushomme, sentenced in 1998 to life imprisonment for murder.
- Sam Neill: North Ireland -- Actor (Jurassic Park, Dead Calm, Piano)
- Jon Bauman: American singer and actor (Sha Na Na)
- 61st US Womens Tennis: A Louise Brough beats M O duPont (86 46 61)
- 67th US Mens Tennis: Jack Kramer beats Frank A Parker (46 26 61 60 63)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 14 September 1947
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1947 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?