Tuesday 14 September 1948
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Fred "Sonic" Smith and Mario Conde.
Johnny Belinda, directed by Jean Negulesco, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
On TV people were watching Around the Town.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1948!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1948 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Fred "Sonic" Smith: Guitarist.
- Mario Conde: Spanish lawyer and financier known as "The Shark," found guilty of fraud and embezzlement as the chairman of Banco Espanol de Credito, known as Banesto.
- Agnès Le Roux: French murder victim, whereabouts unknown since 26 October 1977.
- Robert Taylor: Tyler sports Champions.
- Marc Reisner: American environmentalist and author (d. 2000).
- Ground breaking ceremony for UN world headquarters
- Milton Berle starts his TV career on Texaco Star Theater
- Gerald Ford upsets Republican Bartel J Jonkman in Michigan 5th District Republican primary.
- Groundbreaking for the United Nations headquarters in New York City.
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?