Tuesday 14 October 1947
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Nightmare Alley, directed by Edmund Goulding, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 October 1947!
Which were the important events of 14 October 1947 ?
- Also see October 14 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- French Republican Calendar - Navet (Turnip) Day, twenty-third day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Teachers' Day, or National Education Day in Poland
- World Standards Day (from ISO, IEC, ITU)
- RC Saints - Pope Callistus I
- World Organ Donation Day
- Norman Harris: American guitarist songwriter and producer (MFSB) (d. 1987).
- Nikolai Volkoff: Croatian-American wrestler.
- Mary Greer: American writer, a teacher and author on tarot and metaphysics.
- Charlie Joiner in Many: Louisiana, USA; NFL receiver (Houston Texans, Cincinnati Bengals, San Diego Chargers).
- Dutch Queen Wilhelmina gives golden award to general Eisenhower
- Captain Chuck Yeager of the U.S. Air Force flies a Bell X-1 rocket-powered experimental aircraft, the Glamorous Glennis, faster than the speed of sound - over the high desert of Southern California - and becomes the first pilot and the first airplane to do so in level flight.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1947 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 14 October 1947 and get them!