Tuesday 21 September 2010
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Teenage Dream by Katy Perry.
It's Kind of a Funny Story, directed by Anna Boden, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 September 2010!
Which were the important events of 21 September 2010 ?
- Mabon - Neopagan festival of Mabon
- International Day of Peace of the United Nations, as propagated by Peace One Day
- In ancient Greece, the eighth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the secret rites in the Telesterion finish and the feast, Pannychis, begins.
- Philippines - Thanksgiving Day
- Independence Day in Malta (1964), Belize (1981) & Armenia (1991)
- Also see September 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Matthew the Evangelist
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 21 September
- A helicopter crash kills nine American troops in Afghanistan, making 2010 the deadliest year of the war since 2001 for foreign troops.
- Eight people have been confirmed dead in the southern state of Northern Bahr el Ghazal, Sudan. (africannewslive)
- At least 15,000 people flee their homes in Yemen after a government offensive against rebels in the south in the country. (BBC)
- War in Afghanistan (2001–present)
- Nine International Security Assistance Force soldiers are killed in a NATO helicopter crash in southern Afghanistan. (CNN)
- NATO fatalities rise to 529 making 2010 the most deadly year of the war since 2001. (''New York Times'')
- Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb claims responsibility for kidnapping five French workers in Niger. (Reuters)
- Lawrence Summers announces that he will leave as head of the United States National Economic Council, responsible for advising President Barack Obama on economic policy. (''New York Times'')
- In the Mark Cuban insider trading case, an appeals court overturns a district court decision last fall that had dismissed the civil charges brought against Cuban by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. (MarketWatch).
- 2010 Atlantic hurricane season
- Tropical Storm Lisa forms in the Atlantic Ocean off the Cape Verde Islands. (AP via Canadian Business)
- Hurricane Igor heads for Newfoundland. (News 13)
- China rules out a meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan at the United Nations to resolve an ongoing diplomatic row, saying the timing is ampquotnot properampquot. (Radio Television Hong Kong)
- Italian authorities seize 23nbspmillion euro (approximately US$30nbspmillion) from a Vatican bank account in a money laundering probe. (AP)
- U.S. entertainers Paris Hilton and Nicky Hilton are stopped by immigrations at a Japanese airport and forbidden to enter the country due to Paris's drug conviction the day prior. (Fox News)
- A gay rights protest against the views of Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov is broken up with eight people arrested. (AP)
- President of Paraguay Fernando Lugo sacks heads of the country's army, navy and air force plus five more senior officers in a decision aimed at ampquotinstitutionalizing the structure of the armed forcesampquot. (BBC)
- Asylum seekers at the Villawood Immigration Detention Centre in Sydney, Australia, continue their protest with some inmates cutting themselves until a meeting occurs with officials from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. (ABC News Online)
- The governing Workers Party of North Korea reschedules its first party conference for thirty years for September 28 in Pyongyang amongst speculation that Leader Kim Jong-il will name his youngest son Kim Jong-un as his successor. (AP)
- Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke resigns as Prime Minister of Somalia following an impasse developing with President Sharif Ahmed over a new constitution. (Al Jazeera)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 21 September 2010 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?