Wednesday 23 February 1944
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Passage to Marseille, directed by Michael Curtiz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1944.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 February 1944!
Which were the important events of 23 February 1944 ?
- Saint Milburga
- Roman Empire - Terminalia held in honor of Terminus.
- Russia - Defender of the Fatherland Day (formerly Red Army Day or Day of Soviet Army and Navy).
- Blessed odilia of Mombeek
- Guyana - Mashramani-Republic Day.
- Brunei - National Day.
- Catholicism - Feast day of Saint Polycarp of Smyrna (died 155)
- Saint Lazarus (d.867)
- Bernard Cornwell: English author and educator.
- Florian Fricke: German keyboard player (Popol Vuh and Gila).
- John Sandford: American journalist and author.
- Johnny Winter: American singer-songwriter guitarist and producer (d. 2014).
- Johnny Winter [John Dawson] in Leland: Mississippi, USA; guitarist (Silver Train).
- James Cousins: British Member of Parliament.
- Mike Maxfield: rocker (Billy J Kramer and The Dakotas).
- Dominique Alduy: French business executive, who serves as Deputy Chairwoman and Director of Agence France-Presse SA.
- Leo Hendrik Baekeland: Flemish-American chemist and inventor of the first synthetic plastic, Bakelite (Born 1863).
- The Soviet Union begins the forced deportation of the Chechen and Ingush people from the North Caucasus to Central Asia.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- David Rose & His Orchestra - Holiday For Strings
- Mairzy Doats - Al Trace & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?