Friday 23 February 1945
It was Friday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Frank Murray and Rodrigo Farias.
The Picture of Dorian Gray, directed by Albert Lewin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1945
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 February 1945!
Which were the important events of 23 February 1945 ?
- Saint Milburga
- Roman Empire - Terminalia held in honor of Terminus.
- Russia - Defender of the Fatherland Day (formerly Red Army Day or Day of Soviet Army and Navy).
- Blessed odilia of Mombeek
- Guyana - Mashramani-Republic Day.
- Brunei - National Day.
- Catholicism - Feast day of Saint Polycarp of Smyrna (died 155)
- Saint Lazarus (d.867)
- Frank Murray: Police Officer.
- Rodrigo Farias: Brazilian engineer and astrologer.
- Allan Boesak: South African cleric and politician.
- Svetlana Gerasimenko: Soviet Ukrainian and Tajikistani astronomer.
- 2nd Dutch government of Gerbrandy forms in London
- US Marines raise flag on Iwo Jima, famous photo and statue
- Operation Grenade: General Simpson's 9th Army crosses Ruhr.
- Canadian troops occupy Kalkar.
- During the Battle for Iwo Jima, U.S. Marines take the crest of Mount Suribachi, the island's highest peak and most strategic position, and raise the U.S. flag. Marine photographer Louis Lowery records the event. Several hours later, more Marines head up to the crest with a larger flag. Joe Rosenthal, a photographer with the Associated Press, records the raising of the second flag.
- The 11th Airborne Division, with Filipino guerrillas, freed the captives of the Los Baños internment camp.
- American and Filipino troops enter Intramuros, Manila.
- The German garrison in Poznań capitulates to Red Army and Polish troops.
- Turkey joins the war on the allies side.
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1945 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Saturday Night (Is The Loneliest Night of the Week) - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?