Friday 30 March 1979
It was Friday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Tragedy by Bee Gees.
In UK I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor was in the top 5 hits.
Phantasm, directed by Don Coscarelli, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while War And Remembrance by Herman Wouk was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1979.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 March 1979!
Which were the important events of 30 March 1979 ?
- Saint John Climacus (died 649)
- Easter in 1975, 1986, 1991, and 1997.
- Roman Empire - Festival devoted to Salus.
- Land Day.
- Spiritual Baptist/Shouter Liberation Day - Public holiday in Trinidad and Tobago.
- National Doctors' Day - observed in the USA.
- Saint Quirinus (d. 117)
- Saint Veronus
- Blessed Amadeus IX of Savoy
- Daniel Arenas: Soap Opera Actor.
- Norah Jones: Jazz Singer.
- Sean Garrett: American singer-songwriter and producer.
- Park Kyung-lim: South Korean comedian and actor.
- Anatoliy Tymoschuk: Ukrainian footballer.
- Airey Neave: a British Member of Parliament, is killed by a car bomb as he exits the Palace of Westminster.
- Airey Neave, World War II veteran and Conservative Northern Ireland spokesman, is killed by an Irish National Liberation Army bomb in the British House of Commons car park.
- The last British soldier (belonging to the Royal Navy) leaves the Maltese Islands, after 179 years of presence. Malta declares its Freedom Day (Jum il-Helsien).
- Gali Atari and Milk and Honey win the Eurovision Song Contest 1979 for Israel, with the song ''Hallelujah''.
- Iran's government becomes an Islamic Republic by a 98% vote, overthrowing the Shah officially.
- The Pinwheel Network changes its name to Nickelodeon and begins airing on various Warner Cable systems beginning in Buffalo, New York, expanding its audience reach.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bee Gees - Tragedy
- Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
- The Doobie Brothers - What A Fool Believes
- Donna Summer - Heaven Knows
- Peaches and Herb - Shake Your Groove Thing
- Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing
- Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?
- Amii Stewart - Knock On Wood
- Bobby Caldwell - What You Won't Do For Love
- Melissa Manchester - Don't Cry Out Loud
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?