Friday 31 August 1979
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Yuvan Shankar Raja and Ramon Santiago.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats was in the top 5 hits.
Time After Time, directed by Nicholas Meyer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Sophie'S Choice by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching SportsCenter.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Samurai (Europe) Dynasty! (US) or Star Fire.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1979.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 1979!
Which were the important events of 31 August 1979 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
- Yuvan Shankar Raja: Indian film music composer.
- Ramon Santiago: Dominican baseball player.
- Noelia : Pop Singer.
- Simon Neil: Scottish singer and guitarist (Biffy Clyro).
- Mickie James: American professional wrestler.
- Clay Hensley: American baseball player
- Mark Johnston: Canadian swimmer
- Yuvan Raja: Indian singer-songwriter and producer
- Ramón Santiago: Dominican baseball player
- 16 yr old Tracy Austin defeats 14 yr old Andrea Jaeger at US Open
- Comet Howard-Koomur-Michels collides with Sun
- Phillies replaces manager Danny Ozark with Dallas Green
- Donald McHenry named to succeed Andrew Young as United Nations ambassador.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Chic - Good Times
- Barbra Streisand - The Main Event & Fight
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
- Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love
- Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Love This Way Again
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?