Sunday 1 July 1979
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Sylvain Calzati and Emily Cook.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Ring My Bell by Anita Ward.
In UK Are 'Friends' Electric by Tubeway Army was in the top 5 hits.
The Wanderers, directed by Philip Kaufman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Bronx Zoo by Sparky Lyle and Peter Golenbock was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Fast wia im richtigen Leben.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Star Fire or Asteroids.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1979!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1979 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Sylvain Calzati: French road bicycle racer, who competed as a professional between 2003 and 2011.
- Emily Cook: American skier, ranked number one in free style skier in the nation as an overall aerial specialist in the 13-14-year-old age group, July 1993.
- Forrest Griffin: American mixed martial artist.
- Richard Ward: Actor (Beacon Hill), dies at 64.
- Stampede Pass, Washington is covered with 6 of snow
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Anita Ward - Ring My Bell
- Donna Summer - Hot Stuff
- Donna Summer - Bad Girls
- Sister Sledge - We Are Family
- Rickie Lee Jones - Chuck E.'s In Love
- Supertramp - The Logical Song
- Kenny Rogers - She Believes In Me
- Earth, Wind and Fire - Boogie Wonderland
- Randy Vanwarmer - Just When I Needed You Most
- Rex Smith - You Take My Breath Away
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?