Saturday 1 July 1978
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Rhea Durham and Eisa Istok.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Shadow Dancing by Andy Gibb.
In UK You're The One That I Want by John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John was in the top 5 hits.
Convoy, directed by Sam Peckinpah, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1978
while The Human Factor by Graham Greene was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Everyday Maths.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing MUD1 or A Game of Concentration.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1978!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 1 July 1978 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Rhea Durham
- Eisa Istok: Miss Illinois Teen USA (1996).
- Jacqie Turner: west Covina, California -- Figure skater (1997 SW Pacific-2nd).
- Vicki Renee Hughes: Miss New Mexico Teen USA (1997).
- Kurt Student: German Luftwaffe general (Born 1890).
- Act closes at Majestic Theater NYC after 233 performances
- Former President Nixon makes 1st public speech since resigning in 1974
- Former US President Richard Nixon makes first public speech since resigning in 1974.
- Northern Territory of Australia becomes self-governing.
- The Northern Territory in Australia is granted Self-Government.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1978 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?