Monday 11 November 1918, Veteran's Day
It was Monday, under the sign of Scorpio (see planets position on November 11, 1918). The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Hervé Bromberger and Jürg Baur.
All Night, directed by Paul Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1918
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 11 November 1918
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1918!
Which were the important events of 11 November 1918 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Hervé Bromberger
- Jurg Baur: Composer.
- Jürg Baur: German composer of classical music.
- Andrew Evans: American military, Major General in the U.S.
- Luigi Santucci: Italian writer, novelist, historian, playwright and humorist.
- Stubby Kaye: Actor (Guys & Dolls, Sweet Charity), dies at 79.
- Victor Adler: Austrian neurologist / foreign minister.
- Armistice Day-WW I ends (at 11 AM on Western Front)
- Dutch SDAP leader Troelstra announces revolution
- Emperor Charles I of Austria relinquishes power.
- World War I: Germany signs an armistice agreement with the Allies in a railroad car in the forest of Compiegne, France. The fighting officially ends at 11:00 (The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month) and this is annually honoured with a two-minute silence. The war officially ends on the signing of the Treaty of Versailles on June 28th 1919.
- Jozef Pi?sudski comes to Warsaw and assumes supreme military power in Poland. Poland regains its independence, celebrated each year on this day.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1918 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Indianola - Wilbur Sweatman's Original Jazz Band
- Oh! How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning - Irving Kaufman