Monday 1 May 2006
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Gianna Bryant and Mearah O'Neal.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Bad Day by Daniel Powter.
In UK Crazy by Gnarls Barkley was in the top 5 hits.
Mission: Impossible III, directed by J.J. Abrams, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while Prior Bad Acts by Tami Hoag was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Ask a Bag Pirate: The Series.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Beatmania IIDX 13 Distorted or Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 1 May 2006 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Gianna Bryant: American child of noted parent, professional basketball player Kobe Bryant.
- Mearah O'Neal: American child of noted father, Shaquille O'Neal and his wife Shaunie, she is the sixth child and third daughter of the couple.
- The Great American Boycott takes place across the United States as marchers protest for immigration rights.
- The Puerto Rican government closes the Department of Education and 42 other government agencies due to significant shortages in cash flow.
- Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association outraged Vatican by planning to ordain another bishop, Liu Xinhong in Anhui Province. On Sunday, China has already ordained Ma Yinglin, not approved by the Holy See, as a bishop in Yunnan. Hong Kong Cardinal Joseph Zen urged the Vatican to stop diplomatic talks with China
- King Gyanendra of Nepal swears in Girija Prasad Koirala as the new Prime Minister of Nepal. Baburam Bhattarai of the CPN(M) which controls two thirds of the country, states that his party will respect the results of an election to a constituent assembly, so long as these are ampquotfree and fairampquot. (BBC)
- President of Chad Idriss Déby refuses to delay upcoming presidential elections despite pressure from U.S. diplomat Donald Yamamoto, high ranking Chadian Christian officials, and the head of the Chadian human rights league. However, he announced the Chadian government is negotiating with the United Front for Democratic Change rebel group to avoid violence. (VOA)
- Spain, Portugal, Finland and Greece join the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland and Sweden in allowing workers from the ten countries which joined the European Union two years ago free access to their labour markets. (BBC)
- Bolivian Gas War: President Evo Morales has signed a decree nationalising the nation's natural gas industry, instructing foreign energy firms to channel their activities through the Bolivian government within a six-month deadline or face expulsion, and ordering the Bolivian military to occupy and secure key energy installations. (BBC)
- Puerto Rico budget crisis: The government of Puerto Rico is partially shut down, including public schools. More than 90,000 employees of the public sector are put in license without salary. Their salary will not be paid until further notice, but they will remain employed whether they present themselves to work or not. If they present themselves to work it will be on a voluntary basis without retroactive payment. (Reuters)
- Terrorism in Kashmir: At least 22 Hindus in two small villages in Indian-administered Kashmir are killed by Islamic militants. (Reuters)
- Darfur conflict: The African Union extends the deadline for a peace deal by 48 hours. (Reuters)
- Beaconsfield mine collapse: Rescuers at a mine in Beaconsfield, Tasmania have begun work after two miners were detected alive. The two had been trapped alive over 1 kilometre underground for the past five days. (BBC)
- Immigrant workers and their supporters across the United States stay home from work or school and abstain from commerce during the 2006 Immigration Policy Boycott in the United States, also called the ampquotGreat American Boycottampquot or ampquotDay Without Immigrantsampquot, a protest against the enforcement of immigration law. Demonstrations are planned nationwide. In Latin America, a one-day boycott of American products called the ampquotNothing Gringo Boycottampquot is planned in
- Ethnic conflict in Sri Lanka:
- Over 10 rebels are killed and many injured in Batticaloa as the Tamil Tigers attack a breakaway faction led by Col. Karuna Amman. (BBC)
- A claymore mine attack by suspected Tamil Tiger rebels kills 4 civilians and 1 soldier in Trincomalee. In the same district, a suspected Tiger rebel opens fire on two labourers. (Telegraph)
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 1 May 2006
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Erzgebirge Aue - Bochum : 0 - 1
Division 2Football (France)
- Lorient - Amiens : 1 - 1
Premier LeagueUK Soccer
- Man United - Middlesbrough : 0 - 0
- Sunderland - Arsenal : 0 - 3
- West Brom - West Ham : 0 - 1
Serie BFootball (Italy)
- Arezzo - Rimini : 2 - 1
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?