Tuesday 1 November 1955
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Joe Arroyo and Rocco Barbaro.
In that special week of November people in US were listening to Autumn Leaves by Roger Williams.
In UK The Man From Laramie by Jimmy Young was in the top 5 hits.
Umberto D., directed by Vittorio De Sica, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while The Man In The Gray Flannel Suit by Sloan Wilson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Adventures of Spin and Marty.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 November 1955!
Which were the important events of 1 November 1955 ?
- Also see November 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Start of National Novel Writing Month
- World Vegan Day
- Mexico - The Day of the Dead
- Ireland - Samhain the traditional first day of Winter
- Algeria - National day
- Catholicism - Holy Day of Obligation, All Saints Day. Holiday in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Mexico, The Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia, Spain, Guatemala.
- Roman festivals - last day of the Ludi Victoriae Sullanae.
- Antigua and Barbuda - Independence Day (from Britain, 1981)
- Joe Arroyo: Colombian salsa and tropical music singer, composer and songwriter.
- Rocco Barbaro: Italian comedian, cabaret artist, and author of a book entitled "Menefotto!".
- Beth Leavel: American musical theatre actress.
- Mike Mendoza: English radio host and politician.
- The bombing of United Airlines Flight 629 occurs near Longmont, Colorado, killing all 39 passengers and five crew members aboard the Douglas DC-6B airliner.
- The Vietnam War begins between the South Vietnam Army and the North Vietnam Army in which the latter is allied with the Viet Cong.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 November 1955
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1955 ?
Top #9 songs in the USA
- The McGuire Sisters - He
- Pat Boone - At My Front Door (Crazy Little Mama)
- Roger Williams - Autumn Leaves
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Fontane Sisters - Seventeen
- Al Hibbler - He
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- The Cheers - Black Denim Trousers
- Don Cornell - The Bible Tells Me So
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?