Saturday 1 October 1955
It was Saturday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Phillip Oakey and Anita Cortesi.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to The Yellow Rose Of Texas by Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
The Desperate Hours, directed by William Wyler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Grandfather Stories by Samuel Hopkins Adams was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Crusader.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1955!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1955 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Phillip Oakey: Rocker (Human League).
- Anita Cortesi: Swiss professional astrologer, originally trained as a teacher.
- Howard Hewett: American pop singer originally with the group "Shalamar" and then going solo in the mid-eighties when his career skyrocketed.
- Brogan Lane: American tall (5' 8") buxom actress, the third wife of 5' 2" Dudley Moore.
- François Muir: Belgian poet.
- Charles Christie: Canadian-American businessman co-founded the Christie Film Company (d. 1955).
- Honeymooners premieres
- Piet Lieftinck becomes director v / h IMF (World bank)
- WORA TV channel 5 in Mayaguez, PR (TCI) begins broadcasting
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1955 ?
Top #8 songs in the USA
- Rusty Draper - The Shifting, Whispering Sands
- Gogi Grant - Suddenly There's A Valley
- The Platters - Only You (And You Alone)
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Roger Williams - Autumn Leaves
- Fontane Sisters - Seventeen
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?