Sunday 2 October 1955
It was Sunday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Gary Streeter and Kathryn Morrison Long Beach CA.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to The Yellow Rose Of Texas by Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus.
In UK The Man From Laramie by Jimmy Young was in the top 5 hits.
The Desperate Hours, directed by William Wyler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while The Tree Of Man by Patrick White was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Crusader.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 October 1955!
Which were the important events of 2 October 1955 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Memorial of Guardian Angels
- World Farm Animal Day
- Roman festivals - First day of the Ludi Augustales to celebrate the recovery by emperor August of Roman standards from the Parthians
- Also see October 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Guinea - Independence Day (from France, 1958)
- French Republican Calendar - Pomme de terre (Potato) Day, eleventh day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- India - Gandhi Jayanti (birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, 1869)
- Gary Streeter: MP.
- Kathryn Morrison Long Beach CA: Playmate (May, 1978).
- Phil Oakey: English singer (The Human League).
- Philip Oakey: English singer-songwriter keyboard player and producer (The Human League).
- Nancy Rothwell: English physiologist and academic.
- O B Clarence: Actor (Penn of Pensnsylvania).
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents premieres
- 9th NHL All-Star Game: Detroit beat All-Stars 3-1 at Detroit
- Actress Joyce Randolph marries publisher Richard Charles
- Chiva Stoica becomes Premier of Romania
- WHTN (now WOWK) TV ch 13 in Huntington-Charleston, WV (CBS) begins
- ''Alfred Hitchcock Presents'' TV program debuts on the NBC-TV network in the United States.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1955 ?
Top #8 songs in the USA
- Rusty Draper - The Shifting, Whispering Sands
- Gogi Grant - Suddenly There's A Valley
- The Platters - Only You (And You Alone)
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Roger Williams - Autumn Leaves
- Fontane Sisters - Seventeen
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?