Thursday 5 August 1937
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Brian G Marsden and Herb Brooks.
The Life of Emile Zola, directed by William Dieterle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1937
while Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Mizzen Cross Trees.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 August 1937!
Which were the important events of 5 August 1937 ?
- St. Memmius
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Oswald
- St. Afra and her companions
- Burkina Faso - Independence Day
- Croatia - Victory Day and National Thanksgiving Day
- Brian G Marsden: British astronomer (d. 2010).
- Herb Brooks: American ice hockey player and coach (d. 2003).
- Carla Lane: English screenwriter and producer.
- Brian Marsden: English-American astronomer and academic (d. 2010).
- The Soviet Union commences one of the largest campaigns of the Great Purge, to quoteliminate anti-Soviet elements.quot Within the following year, at least 724,000 people are killed on order of the troikas, directed by Joseph Stalin. This was an offensive that targeted social classes (such as the kulaks), ethnic or racial backgrounds which were seen as non-Russian, and Stalin's personal opponents from the Communist Party and their sympathizers.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?