Saturday 6 August 1960
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Dale Ellis and Philippe Omnès.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I'm Sorry by Brenda Lee.
In UK Please Don't Tease by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
Ocean's Eleven, directed by Lewis Milestone, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 1960!
Which were the important events of 6 August 1960 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
- Dale Ellis: NBA guard / forward (Seattle Supersonics, Denver Nuggets).
- Philippe Omnès: French fencer who a gold medal in the individual foil event at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona.
- Leigh Tuohy: Business Executive.
- Pitt Steelers (NFL) beat Toronto Argonauts (CFL) 43-16 in Toronto
- Cuban Revolution: in response to a United States embargo, Cuba nationalizes American and foreign-owned property in the nation.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 6 August 1960
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- Hollywood Argyles - Alley-Oop
- Safaris - Image Of A Girl
- Ray Peterson - Tell Laura I Love Her
- Hank Locklin - Please Help Me, I'm Falling
- The Fendermen - Mule Skinner Blues
- Brenda Lee - That's All You Gotta Do
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?