Wednesday 17 August 1960
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Bruce Penhall and Stefan Eicher.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to It's Now Or Never by Elvis Presley.
In UK Please Don't Tease by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
G.I. Blues, directed by Norman Taurog, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while The Night They Burned The Mountain by Thomas A. Dooley was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1960!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1960 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Bruce Penhall: Balboa, California -- Actor (Savage Beach).
- Stefan Eicher: Swiss singer of Alsatian mother and Yeniche father.
- Sean Penn: American actor whose original fame was for his marriage to pop star Madonna 8/16/1985.
- Lisa Coleman: Composer.
- Stephan Eicher: Swiss singer-songwriter (Grauzone).
- Francis Gary Powers U-2 spy trial opens in Moscow
- Gabon gains independence from France (National Day)
- Indonesia drops diplomatic relations with Netherlands
- CIA pilot Francis Gary Powers is found guilty of espionage by the Soviet Union, sentenced to ten years in prison.
- Decolonization: Gabon gains independence from France.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- The Ventures - Walk -- Don't Run
- Fats Domino - Walking To New Orleans
- Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Finger Poppin' Time
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Ray Peterson - Tell Laura I Love Her
- Safaris - Image Of A Girl
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?