Monday 29 August 1960
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Todd English and Tony MacAlpine.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to It's Now Or Never by Elvis Presley.
In UK Please Don't Tease by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
G.I. Blues, directed by Norman Taurog, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 1960!
Which were the important events of 29 August 1960 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- Todd English: American chef and author.
- Tony MacAlpine: American guitarist songwriter and producer (Planet X CAB Ring of Fire and Seven the Hardway).
- Alexander Gauge: Actor (Adventures of Robin Hood), dies at 46.
- Hazza el-Majali: Prime Minister of Jordan is assassinated.
- Vicki Baum: Austrian-born American novelist whose Menschen im Hotel (1929; “People at the Hotel”; became a best-seller and was adapted as a successful play (1930), an Academy Award-winning film (1932), a film musical (1945; renamed Weekend at the Waldorf), and a Broadway stage musical (1989).
- Jordan Premier Hazza-el-Madjali deadly injured at bomb attack
- Hurricane Donna kills 50 people in Florida and New England.
- Sultan Hisamuddin Alam Shah, Sultan of Selangor and 2nd Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia, dies in office. He is replaced by Tuanku Syed Putra, Raja of Perlis.
- Disgruntled railroad workers effectively halt operations of the Pennsylvania Railroad, marking the first shutdown in the company's history (the event lasts two days).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 29 August 1960
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- The Ventures - Walk -- Don't Run
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Bobby Rydell - Volare
- Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
- Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Finger Poppin' Time
- Donnie Brooks - Mission Bell
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- Anita Bryant - In My Little Corner Of The World
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?