Tuesday 16 August 1960
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Timothy Hutton and Eric Caritoux.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to It's Now Or Never by Elvis Presley.
In UK Please Don't Tease by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
G.I. Blues, directed by Norman Taurog, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while The View From The Fortieth Floor by Theodore H. White was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1960!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 16 August 1960 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Timothy Hutton: American actor producer and director.
- Eric Caritoux
- Mitch Landrieu
- Flood (producer)
- Éric Caritoux: French road racing cyclist, who raced between 1983 and 1994.
- Franz Welser-Möst: Austrian-American conductor and director.
- Republic of Congo (Zaire, Dem Republic of Congo) forms
- Britain grants independence to crown colony of Cyprus.
- Cyprus gains its independence from the United Kingdom.
- Joseph Kittinger parachutes from a balloon over New Mexico at 102,800 feet (31,300 m), setting three records that still stand today: High-altitude jump, free-fall, and highest speed by a human without an aircraft.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- The Ventures - Walk -- Don't Run
- Fats Domino - Walking To New Orleans
- Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Finger Poppin' Time
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Ray Peterson - Tell Laura I Love Her
- Safaris - Image Of A Girl
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?