Friday 26 August 1960
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Wanda De Jesus and Branford Marsalis.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to It's Now Or Never by Elvis Presley.
In UK Please Don't Tease by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
G.I. Blues, directed by Norman Taurog, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while The Good Years by Walter Lord was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 August 1960!
Which were the important events of 26 August 1960 ?
- RC saints - St Zephyrinus, Saint Ninian, David Lewis (one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales)
- Namibia - Namibia Day or Heroes' Day
- Zanzibar - Sultan's Birthday
- Wanda De Jesus: American actress.
- Branford Marsalis: American saxophonist composer and bandleader (Buckshot LeFonque).
- Nancy Martinez: Canadian-born singer.
- Ola Ray: St. Louis, Missouri -- Playmate (Jun, 1980) / actress (Thriller).
- Mark Hambourg: Composer, dies at 81.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
- The Ventures - Walk -- Don't Run
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- Bobby Rydell - Volare
- Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Finger Poppin' Time
- Donnie Brooks - Mission Bell
- Safaris - Image Of A Girl
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?