Monday 6 August 2012
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Freelancers, directed by Jessy Terrero, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Damien's Quest.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Crazy Cars: Hit the Road or Devil's Attorney.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 6 August 2012 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 06 August
- ''Curiosity'', the Mars Science Laboratory mission's rover, successfully lands on Mars.ref name=MarsScienceLaboratory
- Researchers successfully perform the first implantation of an early prototype bionic eye with 24 electrodes.
- Armenia severs diplomatic relations with Hungary, following the extradition to Azerbaijan and subsequent pardoning of Ramil Safarov, who was convicted of killing an Armenian soldier in Hungary in 2004. The move is also met with fierce criticism from other countries.
- Clashes take place between protesters and Islamists in Gao, Mali, over a planned amputation of a robber and beating of a journalist covering the demonstration. (Reuters)
- 2012 Rakhine State riots: Renewed fighting between Buddhist Rakhine and Muslim Rohingya in western Burma kills three people. (''Dawn'')
- Mexican Drug War: Alleged members of Los Zetas, a drug cartel originally set up by former soldiers of the Mexican Army, attack several media outlets in Monterrey for publishing on a rumored split between the two principal Zetas bosses. (InSight Crime)
- Arab Spring:
- Syrian civil war
- A bomb explodes at the headquarters of Syrian state television in Damascus. (AP via Google News)
- Syrian Prime Minister Riad Hijab and his family defect to Jordan to join the opposition. State-run media claims he was fired, but the Free Syrian Army states this was only after he arrived in Jordan. (BBC)
- Tunisian revolution:
- Anti-government protesters and police clash in the capital Tunis over alleged corruption and nepotism within the government. (Al Jazeera)
- Bahraini uprising:
- The chief prosecutor charges 15 police officers with torturing doctors who were arrested during protests. (Now Lebanon)
- North Caucasus insurgency:
- Two police officers are killed and one injured in an ambush in the Tsuntinsky District, Dagestan. (RIA)
- Four people are confirmed dead and 3 wounded in an apparent suicide bombing at a police checkpoint in Grozny, the capital of Chechnya. (RIA)
- An attack on an army base in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, kills six people. (France 24)
- Australian art critic, historian and documentary maker Robert Hughes dies in New York City. (AAP via ''Business Day'')
- New Zealand's Mount Tongariro erupts for the first time in a century, spreading volcanic ash across the central North Island and affecting airports. (Stuff.co.nz)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 6 August 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?