Thursday 9 October 2008
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Whatever You Like by T.I..
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, directed by Mark Herman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Brisingr by Christopher Paolini was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Review with Myles Barlow.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Class of Heroes or AMF Bowling World Lanes.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 October 2008!
Which were the important events of 9 October 2008 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 October
- Gidget Gein: American bass player (Marilyn Manson) (d. 2008).
- General Motors Corp share price drops to US$4.65, its lowest level since 1950. Market capitalization drops to US$2.6 billion, lower than its value of about $4 billion in March 1929.
- Narcoterrorist attack on a military convoy by Shining Path guerrillas kills 19 including women and children in southeast Peru. (AFP via Yahoo News)
- Montenegro and Macedonia recognize Kosovo, bringing the total number of United Nations members recognising Kosovo to fifty. (International Herald Tribune)
- The U.S. National Security Agency is accused of listening to Americans' private phone conversations. (ABC News)
- Nobel Prize:
- French writer Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio is announced the winner of the 2008 Nobel Prize in Literature.
- 2008 Pacific hurricane season : Tropical Storm Odile forms south of Mexico while Hurricane Norbert weakens to tropical storm strength northwest of Odile. (AP via Google News)
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average falls by 678.91 points to 8,579.19 points. (''New York Times'')
- Greece introduces a 100,000 Euro guarantee for the 230 billion Euro bank deposits in the country for three years, well above the EU-wide Ecofin-mandated minimum of 50,000 Euro for one year, and gives assurances that the Greek banking system is stable, while the Greek central bank announces a drop in the expected growth of the Greek economy to 3.3% (from 4%) because of decreased consumption caused by high petrol and food prices. (Forbes), (Wikinews)
- North Korea has forbidden ships to sail in an area of the Yellow Sea as it prepares for the launch of 10 short-range missiles. (BBC News)
- War on Terrorism:
- NATO commander U.S. Army Gen. Bantz J. Craddock asks member countries for authority to target drug trade in Afghanistan. (Reuters)
- Suicide bomber attacks police headquarters in Pakistani capital of Islamabad, wounding eight. Two air strikes northwest of Pakistan kill 20 militants. (Reuters)
- NATO plans on sending seven warships to protect United Nations food aid from Piracy in Somalia. (Radio Netherlands Worldwide)
- North Korea ends its nuclear freeze as it prepares to restart a nuclear facility (AP via Yahoo News)
- No candidate wins a majority in the Maldives' first democratic presidential election the incumbent Maumoon Abdul Gayoom will face Mohamed Nasheed in a runoff. (Minivan News)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 October 2008
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2008 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?