Saturday July 11, 1959
US date format: 7/11/1959, UK date format: 11/7/1959
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer (see birth chart on July 11, 1959). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Harold Macmillan (Conservative), Pope John XXIII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Richie Sambora and Suzanne Vega.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to The Battle Of New Orleans by Johnny Horton.
In UK Dream Lover by Bobby Darin was in the top 5 hits.
Holiday for Lovers, directed by Henry Levin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Status Seekers by Vance Packard was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Heidi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of July 11, 1959?
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday
- Feast Day of Saint Benedict (founder of the Benedictine Order)
- United States: Free Slurpee at 7-Eleven (most locations do this - get a free 7.11oz Slurpee on 7-11).
- Bonfire night in Northern Ireland, precursor to The_Twelfth
- See more
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 11, 1959?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Lloyd Price and His Orchestra - Personality
- The Falcons - You're So Fine
- The Flamingos - I Only Have Eyes For You
- Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- LaVern Baker - I Waited Too Long
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
- Brook Benton - Endlessly
- Big Jay McNeely - There Is Something On Your Mind
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free