Saturday 11 July 1959
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Dave Bennett and Tokia Saifi.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to The Battle Of New Orleans by Johnny Horton.
In UK Roulette by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
North by Northwest, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Oh Boy!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 July 1959!
Which were the important events of 11 July 1959 ?
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday
- Feast Day of Saint Benedict (founder of the Benedictine Order)
- United States: Free Slurpee at 7-Eleven (most locations do this - get a free 7.11oz Slurpee on 7-11).
- Bonfire night in Northern Ireland, precursor to The_Twelfth
- Feast Day of Saint Olga (first Russian Saint)
- United Nations - World Population Day
- Ireland - National Day of Commemoration held on nearest Sunday to this date (see Irish calendar).
- China - China National Maritime Day
- Flanders, region in Belgium (not a public holiday) - Flemish Day (1302 Battle of the Golden Spurs)
- Dave Bennett: English footballer.
- Tokia Saifi: French politician and Member of the European Parliament for the North-West of France.
- Richie Sambora: American musician, a lead guitarist with "Bon Jovi.
- Suzanne Vega: American singer-songwriter guitarist and producer.
- Charlie Parker: Known as "Yardbird" and "Bird", was an American jazz saxophonist and composer.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 11 July 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Lloyd Price - Personality
- Bobby Darin - Dream Lover
- Connie Francis - Lipstick On Your Collar
- Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo
- Freddy Cannon - Tallahassee Lassie
- Frankie Avalon - Bobby Sox To Stockings
- Connie Francis - Frankie
- Fabian - Tiger
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?