Friday July 11, 1958
US date format: 7/11/1958, UK date format: 11/7/1958
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer (see birth chart on July 11, 1958). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Harold Macmillan (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Hugo Sánchez and Lúcia Veríssimo.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to The Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley.
In UK All I Have To Do Is Dream / Claudette by The Everly Brothers was in the top 5 hits.
Big Deal on Madonna Street, directed by Mario Monicelli, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while The Face Of Minnesota by John Szarkowski was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Discovering the Bible.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of July 11, 1958?
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday
- Feast Day of Saint Benedict (founder of the Benedictine Order)
- United States: Free Slurpee at 7-Eleven (most locations do this - get a free 7.11oz Slurpee on 7-11).
- Bonfire night in Northern Ireland, precursor to The_Twelfth
- See more
- Count Michael Rhédey von Kis-Rhéde, direct descendant of Samuel Aba, King of Hungary, at the age of 60 is pistol-whipped and murdered over a few hectares of land by Czechoslovak Communists during the collectivization process at his residence in Olcsvar, Slovakia.
- Karel Wellens: Flemish painter, dies at 69.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 11, 1958?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Sheb Wooley - The Purple People Eater
- The Coasters - Yakety Yak
- Elvis Presley - Hard Headed Woman
- The Everly Brothers - All I Have To Do Is Dream
- Jody Reynolds - Endless Sleep
- Perez Prado and His Orchestra - Patricia
- Bobby Darin - Splish Splash
- Dean Martin - Return To Me
- Jimmie Rodgers - Secretly
- David Seville - Witch Doctor
Top #5 songs in the UK
- The Everly Brothers - All I Have To Do Is Dream / Claudette
- Vic Damone - On The Street Where You Live
- The Four Preps - Big Man
- Max Bygraves - Tulips From Amsterdam / You Need Hands
- The Platters - Twilight Time
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next July 11If July 11, 1958 is your birthday you're 62 years, 1 month, 1 day old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 10 months, 29 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free