Friday 14 August 1959
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Earvin "Magic" Johnson and Marcia Gay Harden.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to A Big Hunk O' Love by Elvis Presley.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Tingler, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Great Imposter by Robert Crichton was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Oh Boy!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 14 August 1959 ?
- Paraguay - Flag Day
- St. Maximilian Kolbe
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of several saints: St. Eusebius of Rome
- United States - National Code talkers Day
- Pakistan - Independence Day
- RC saints - Maximilian Kolbe (Polish Franciscan priest martyred by Nazis in 1941)
- Morocco - Allegiance of Oued Eddahab or Rfo de Oro
- United States - National Creamsicles Day
- Earvin "Magic" Johnson: Michigan, United States -- NBA Forward (LA Lakers / Olympics - Gold - 92).
- Marcia Gay Harden: American actress.
- Frank Brickowski: American basketball player, a forward/center.
- Marcia Harden: American actress who won an Academy Award in 2001 for Best Supporting Actress in "Pollock.
- Magic Johnson: American noted athlete and professional basketball player for the L.A Lakers.
- Vivienne Loomis: American teenage suicide; 14 when she hanged herself in the basement of her home the evening of 12/21/1973. An attractive, lively girl and a capable writer, she had spells of deep depression, speaking of "inner riots" that turned her to thoughts of suicide.
- 26th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: Baltimore 29, All-Stars 0 (70,000)
- AFL organized with NY, Dallas, LA, Minneapolis, Denver and Houston
- American Football League (AFL) is organized with New York, Dallas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Denver, and Houston.
- Founding and first official meeting of the American Football League.
- Explorer 6 sends the first picture of Earth from orbit.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Fabian - Tiger
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?