Monday 17 August 1959
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include David Koresh and Jonathan Franzen.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to A Big Hunk O' Love by Elvis Presley.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Tingler, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1959 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- David Koresh: American religious fanatic and psychopath.
- Jonathan Franzen: American author and critic.
- Jacek Kazimierski: Polish footballer.
- Chika Sakamoto: Japanese voice actress and singer.
- Eric Schlosser: American journalist and author.
- 7.1 quake strikes Yellowstone National Park
- USSR and Iraq signs contract for building Iraqi nuclear reactor
- Quake Lake: Quake Lake is formed by the magnitude 7.5 1959 Yellowstone earthquake near Hebgen Lake in Montana.
- Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, the much acclaimed and highly influential best selling jazz recording of all time, is released.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 August 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
- Ricky Nelson - Just A Little Too Much
- Duane Eddy - Forty Miles Of Bad Road
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?