Tuesday 4 August 1959
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Deedee Lasker and René Manzor.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Lonely Boy by Paul Anka.
In UK Dream Lover by Bobby Darin was in the top 5 hits.
The Tingler, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Oh Boy!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 4 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 4 August 1959 ?
- Ancient Egypt - Jubilation of the Heart of Re
- El Salvador - Transfiguration Bank Holiday
- Cook Islands - Constitution Day (celebrations begin on the last Friday in July and last up to 2 weeks.)
- Burkina Faso - Anniversary of the Revolution
- St. Luanus/Lugid
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Saint John Vianney, the patron saint of priests
- St. Dominic
- Deedee Lasker: LPGA golfer.
- René Manzor: Film director, from noted family.
- Robbin Crosby: American guitarist and songwriter (Ratt) (d. 2002).
- John Gormley: Irish politician Minister for the Environment Community and Local Government.
- Billy Barnes Revue opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 87 performances
- Martial law is declared in Laos.
- Explorer program: The United States launches Explorer 6 from the Atlantic Missile Range in Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- United States The Roseburg Oregon Blast kills 14 and causes $12 million worth of damage.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 4 August 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Fabian - Tiger
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Ricky Nelson - Sweeter Than You
- Duane Eddy - Forty Miles Of Bad Road
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?