Monday 14 September 1959
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Morten Harket and Mary Crosby.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to The Three Bells by The Browns.
In UK Only Sixteen by Craig Douglas was in the top 5 hits.
The Magician, directed by Ingmar Bergman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The DuPont Show with June Allyson.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1959!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 14 September 1959 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Morten Harket: Norwegian musician, best known as lead singer of the pop-rock group AHA.
- Mary Crosby: American actress and noted family, the only daughter of Bing Crosby and his second wife, Kathryn Grant.
- Ashlyn Gere
- Mary Crosby in Los Angeles: California, USA; actress (Kristin - Dallas, Ice Pirates).
- John Berry: American singer-songwriter and guitarist.
- Gary Cady: English actor.
- Wayne Morris: Actor (Kid Galahad), dies of heart attack at 45.
- WQEX TV channel 16 in Pittsburgh, PA (PBS) begins broadcasting
- The Soviet probe Luna 2 crashes onto the Moon, becoming the first man-made object to reach it.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- Lloyd Price - I'm Gonna Get Married
- Phil Phillips - Sea Of Love
- The Everly Brothers - ('Til) I Kissed You
- Johnny and the Hurricanes - Red River Rock
- Sarah Vaughan - Broken-Hearted Melody
- Fats Domino - I Want To Walk You Home
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Jan and Dean - Baby Talk
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?