Sunday 16 August 1959
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Laura Innes and Marc Sergeant.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to A Big Hunk O' Love by Elvis Presley.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Tingler, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Art Of Llewellyn Jones by Paul Hyde Bonner was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1959 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
Famous Birthdays:16 August
- Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Seattle Golf Open
- USSR introduces installment buying.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Fabian - Tiger
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?