Sunday 14 May 1961
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jean Leclerc and Pierrick Bourgault.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Runaway by Del Shannon.
In UK Blue Moon by The Marcels was in the top 5 hits.
Two Women, directed by Vittorio De Sica, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Ernie Kovacs Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 May 1961!
Which were the important events of 14 May 1961 ?
- St. Carthach the Younger
- DubsDay in Dublin Ireland (14th of May in 2006).
- Mother's Day in various countries (second Sunday of May in 2006).
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut, or Israeli Independence Day. The observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar.
- Paraguay - Flag Day.
- St. Maria Dominic Mazzarello
- St. Just
- St. Engelmer
- St. Vincent of Lerins
- St. Victor and Corona
- St. Boniface of Tarsus
- St. Michael Garicoits
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: St. Matthias (Apostle)
- St. Engelmund
- Jean Leclerc: French-Canadian singer and songwriter.
- Pierrick Bourgault: French informatician and astrologer, he created the program "Infociel" in 1988.
- Tim Roth: British actor of Irish descent (his father "né Smith" was born in New-York), starring in "Grace" with Nicole Kidman, directed by Olivier Dahan (2014).
- Ulrike Folkerts: German actress.
- Jean Leloup: Canadian singer-songwriter and guitarist.
- David Quantick: English journalist and critic
- Tommy Rogers: American wrestler (d. 2015)
- Alain Vigneault: Canadian ice hockey player and coach
- Bus with 1st group of Freedom Riders bombed and burned in Alabama
- Bus with first group of Freedom Riders bombed and burned in Alabama, USA.
- Mickey Wright wins LPGA Columbus Golf Open.
- American civil rights movement: The Freedom Riders bus is fire-bombed near Anniston, Alabama, and the civil rights protesters are beaten by an angry mob.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 14 May 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- Linda Scott - I've Told Every Little Star
- The Marcels - Blue Moon
- Brenda Lee - You Can Depend On Me
- Adam Wade - Take Good Care Of Her
- Ray Charles - One Mint Julep
- Steve Lawrence - Portrait Of My Love
- Floyd Cramer - On The Rebound
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?