Monday 1 May 1961
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Charlie O'Brien in Tulsa and Clint Malarchuk.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Runaway by Del Shannon.
In UK Blue Moon by The Marcels was in the top 5 hits.
Two Women, directed by Vittorio De Sica, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich by William L. Shirer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Ernie Kovacs Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1961 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Charlie O'Brien in Tulsa: Oklahoma, USA; catcher (Milwaukee Brewers, New York Mets, Atlanta Braves, Toronto Blue Jays).
- Clint Malarchuk: Canadian ice hockey player and coach.
- Marilyn Milian: current judge on The People's Court.
- Vasiliy Sidorenko: Russian hammer thrower.
- 1st US airplane hijacked to Cuba
- Pulitzer prize awarded to Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird)
- Tanganyika granted full internal self-government by Britain.
- The Prime Minister of Cuba, Fidel Castro, proclaims Cuba a socialist nation and abolishes elections.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Linda Scott - I've Told Every Little Star
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- The Marcels - Blue Moon
- Clarence Frogman Henry - But I Do
- Adam Wade - Take Good Care Of Her
- Ray Charles - One Mint Julep
- Brenda Lee - You Can Depend On Me
- Floyd Cramer - On The Rebound
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?