Friday 15 August 1958
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Bambi Bembenek and Richard Greiner.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Poor Little Fool by Ricky Nelson.
In UK All I Have To Do Is Dream / Claudette by The Everly Brothers was in the top 5 hits.
The Fly, directed by Kurt Neumann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while The Image Makers by Bernard Dryer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1958!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1958 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Bambi Bembenek: American magazine model who interviewed for a job as a policewoman on 8/01/1979, completing school on 5/25/1980.
- Richard Greiner: American missing person.
- Rondell Sheridan: American actor and comedian.
- Simon Baron-Cohen: English-Canadian psychiatrist and author.
- Laurie Bembenek: American convicted murderer and fugitive (Born 1958).
- Craig MacTavish: Canadian ice hockey player and coach
- Simple Kapadia: Indian actress and costume designer (d. 2009)
- Victor Shenderovich: Russian journalist and radio host
- William L C "Big Bill" Broonzy: US blues singer / guitarist, dies at 65.
- 25th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: All-Stars 35, Detroit 19 (70,000)
- Buddy Holly weds Maria Santiago
- Marshal Boelganin resigns as Director of Staatsbank
- Soviet Marshal Bulganin resigns as Director of State Bank
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Ricky Nelson - Poor Little Fool
- Domenico Modugno - Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)
- Perez Prado and His Orchestra - Patricia
- Bobby Darin - Splish Splash
- Kalin Twins - When
- Jack Scott - My True Love
- Elvis Presley - Hard Headed Woman
- Duane Eddy - Rebel-'Rouser
- Jimmy Clanton - Just A Dream
- Johnny Otis Show - Willie And The Hand Jive
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?