Sunday 17 August 1958
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Belinda Carlisle in Hollywood and Belinda Carlisle.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Poor Little Fool by Ricky Nelson.
In UK All I Have To Do Is Dream / Claudette by The Everly Brothers was in the top 5 hits.
while The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1958!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1958 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Belinda Carlisle in Hollywood: California, USA; singer (The Go Gos, "Heaven on Earth").
- Belinda Carlisle: American musician who formed an all-girl group, "The Go-Go's" in California, 1978, with her friend Jane Wiedlin, joined by Charlotte Caffey, Elissa Bello and Margot Olaverra.
- Fred Goodwin: Fred Goodwin is a Scottish chartered accountant and former banker who was CEO of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group (RBS) between 2001 and 2009.
- Maurizio Sala: Brazilian race car driver.
- Kirk Stevens: Canadian snooker player.
- Florent Schmitt: French Composer / critic (Jardin Secret), dies at 87.
- Bonnie Hoffman wins LPGA Kansas City Golf Open
- World's first Moon probe, USA's Thor-Able, explodes 77 seconds after launch.
- Vladimir Nabokov's controversial novel ''Lolita'' is published in the United States.
- Brojen Das from East Pakistan swims across the English Channel in a competition, as the first Bangali as well as the first Asian to ever do it. He is first among 39 competitors.
- Chinese Civil War: The Second Taiwan Strait crisis begins with the People's Liberation Army's bombardment of Quemoy.
- President of the United States Dwight D. Eisenhower signs the Federal Aviation Act, transferring all authority over aviation in the USA to the newly created Federal Aviation Agency (FAA, later renamed Federal Aviation Administration).
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Ricky Nelson - Poor Little Fool
- Domenico Modugno - Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)
- Perez Prado and His Orchestra - Patricia
- Bobby Darin - Splish Splash
- Kalin Twins - When
- Jack Scott - My True Love
- Elvis Presley - Hard Headed Woman
- Duane Eddy - Rebel-'Rouser
- Jimmy Clanton - Just A Dream
- Johnny Otis Show - Willie And The Hand Jive
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?