Tuesday 15 September 1959
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Mike Wilson and Mark Kirk.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to The Three Bells by The Browns.
In UK Only Sixteen by Craig Douglas was in the top 5 hits.
The Magician, directed by Ingmar Bergman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The DuPont Show with June Allyson.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 1959!
Which were the important events of 15 September 1959 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
- Mike Wilson: American athlete, pro basketball player who played five seasons beginning in 1983.
- Mark Kirk: American politician, junior senator of Illinois.
- Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev arrives in US to begin a 13-day visit.
- Nikita Khrushchev becomes the first Soviet leader to visit the United States.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 15 September 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- Lloyd Price - I'm Gonna Get Married
- Phil Phillips - Sea Of Love
- The Everly Brothers - ('Til) I Kissed You
- Johnny and the Hurricanes - Red River Rock
- Sarah Vaughan - Broken-Hearted Melody
- Fats Domino - I Want To Walk You Home
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Jan and Dean - Baby Talk
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?