Thursday 17 September 1959
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Hank Ilesic in Edmonton and Pierre Le Bigaut.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to The Three Bells by The Browns.
In UK Only Sixteen by Craig Douglas was in the top 5 hits.
The Magician, directed by Ingmar Bergman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The DuPont Show with June Allyson.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1959!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1959 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Hank Ilesic in Edmonton: Alberta, Canada; Canadian Football League punter, place kicker (Edmonton Eskimos, Toronto Argonauts).
- Pierre Le Bigaut: French professional road bicycle racer, 1982-1988.
- Charles Lawson: Northern Irish actor.
- Bert Leysen: Belgian TV director, dies at 39.
- 59th US Golf Amateur Championship won by Jack Nicklaus
- Transit 1A, first navigational satellite launched; failed to orbit.
- Typhoon kills 2,000 in Japan and Korea.
- The first ''Navy Navigation Satellite System'' Transit 1A is launched but fails to reach orbit.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 September 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- Lloyd Price - I'm Gonna Get Married
- Phil Phillips - Sea Of Love
- The Everly Brothers - ('Til) I Kissed You
- Johnny and the Hurricanes - Red River Rock
- Sarah Vaughan - Broken-Hearted Melody
- Fats Domino - I Want To Walk You Home
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Jan and Dean - Baby Talk
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?