Friday August 16, 1974
US date format: 8/16/1974, UK date format: 16/8/1974
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 16, 1974). The US president was Gerald Ford (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Harold Wilson (Labour), Pope St Paul VI was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Didier Cuche and Krisztina Egerszegi.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace.
In UK When Will I See You Again by The Three Degrees was in the top 5 hits.
Amazing Grace, directed by Stan Lathan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1974
while Watership Down by Richard Adams was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Capone Investment.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Elimination or Spasim.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of August 16, 1974?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Karl E Mundt: (Rep / Sen).
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 16, 1974?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Paper Lace - The Night Chicago Died
- Roberta Flack - Feel Like Makin' Love
- Paul Anka - (You're) Having My Baby
- Rufus - Tell Me Something Good
- Dave Loggins - Please Come To Boston
- Chicago - Call On Me
- ABBA - Waterloo
- Jim Stafford - Wildwood Weed
- Donny and Marie Osmond - I'm Leaving It (All) Up To You
- Blue Magic - Sideshow
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Roberta Flack - Feel Like Makin' Love
- Johnny Bristol - Hang On In There Baby
- Curtis Mayfield - Kung Fu
- James Brown - My Thang
- Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan - Tell Me Something Good
- The Staple Singers - City In The Sky
- The Main Ingredient - Happiness Is Just Around The Bend
- Earth, Wind & Fire - Kalimba Story
- The Hues Corporation - Rock The Boat
- Sly & The Family Stone - Time For Livin'
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next August 16If August 16, 1974 is your birthday you're 46 years, 2 months, 15 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 9 months, 16 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?
Frequently Asked Questions
What day of the week was on August 16, 1974?
On August 16, 1974 the day of the week was Friday.
What zodiac sign is August 16, 1974?
On August 16, 1974 the zodiac sign was Leo.
Who was the US President on August 16, 1974?
On August 16, 1974 the US President was Gerald Ford (Republican).
Who was the UK Prime Minister on August 16, 1974?
On August 16, 1974 the UK Prime Minister was Harold Wilson (Labour).
Who was the Pope on August 16, 1974?
On August 16, 1974 Pope St Paul VI was leading the Catholic Church.
Which famous people are born on August 16, 1974?
On August 16, 1974 several famous people were born including, Didier Cuche, Krisztina Egerszegi, Laure Reutermann.
Which famous people died on August 16, 1974?
Famous people died on August 16, 1974 include, Karl E Mundt.
What was the number one song in August 16, 1974?
The number one song in the week of August 16, 1974 was The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace in US and When Will I See You Again by The Three Degrees in UK.
What were the top hits on August 16, 1974?
The top hits on August 16, 1974 were The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace, Feel Like Makin' Love by Roberta Flack, (You're) Having My Baby by Paul Anka in US and When Will I See You Again by The Three Degrees, Rock Your Baby by George McCrae, You Make Me Feel Brand New by The Stylistics in UK.