Monday 17 October 1949
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bill Hudson in Portland and Maurice Willis Wright.
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching The Plainclothesman.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 October 1949!
Which were the important events of 17 October 1949 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Ignatius of Antioch; translation of Saint Audrey (�thelthryth); Saint Richard Gwyn
- United States - Black Poetry Day
- UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- French Republican Calendar - Aubergine (Eggplant) Day, twenty-sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Haiti - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (1806), State holiday
- Bill Hudson in Portland: Oregon, USA; comedian (Bonkers, Hudson Brothers Show).
- Maurice Willis Wright: Composer.
- Timothy Bottoms in Santa Barbara: California, USA; actor (Adam - East of Eden).
- Owen Arthur: Barbados-born politician who was elected Prime Minister of Barbados September 1994 and January 1999.
- Todd Walton: American thespian, musician, and writer of works of fiction and non-fiction.
- Chinese communist troops take Guangzhou
- Chinese communist troops fail to take Quemoy in the Battle of Kuningtou their advance towards Taiwan is halted.
- An airliner flying from Paris to New York crashes in the Azores island of São Miguel. Among the victims are violinist Ginette Neveu and French boxer Marcel Cerdan.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Jealous Heart - Hugo Winterhalter & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?