Thursday 17 September 1953
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Morgan White and Tamasin Day-Lewis.
In UK Look At That Girl by Guy Mitchell was in the top 5 hits.
Mogambo, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while Beyond This Place by A.J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Loretta Young Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1953!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1953 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Morgan White: American trivia buff who calls himself the "Trivia King," White makes 300 appearances a year in nightclubs, corporate parties and radio talk show that demonstrate his amazing ability to amass an astonishing amount of useless, arcane information.
- Tamasin Day-Lewis: English chef and author.
- Altaf Hussain: Pakistani-English soldier and politician.
- Rita Rudner: American actress and screenwriter.
- Steve Williams: Welsh drummer and songwriter (Budgie).
- 1st successful separation of Siamese twins
- Ernie Banks becomes Chicago Cubs 1st black player
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 September 1953
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1953 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?