Saturday September 17, 1983
US date format: 9/17/1983, UK date format: 17/9/1983
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 17, 1983). The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Margaret Thatcher (Conservative), Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Jennifer Pena and Gabrielle Ferrer.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Maniac by Michael Sembello.
In UK Red Red Wine by UB40 was in the top 5 hits.
Careful, He Might Hear You, directed by Carl Schultz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1983
while Creating Wealth by Robert G. Allen was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Just Our Luck.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Keystone Kapers or Killer Gorilla.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of September 17, 1983?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- See more
- Chicago White Sox clinch their 1st-ever AL West championship
- Vanessa Williams (NY), 20, crowned 56th Miss America 1984, 1st black
- Vanessa Lynn Williams is crowned Miss America, in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- Humberto Madeiros: US Cardinal to Boston, dies at 67.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 17, 1983?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Michael Sembello - Maniac
- Billy Joel - Tell Her About It
- Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance
- Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart
- Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
- The Police - Every Breath You Take
- Michael Jackson - Human Nature
- Taco - Puttin' On The Ritz
- Air Supply - Making Love Out Of Nothing At All
- Asia - Don't Cry
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Rick James - Cold Blooded
- The S.O.S. Band - Just Be Good To Me
- Jeffrey Osborne - Don't You Get So Mad
- Zapp - I Can Make You Dance
- Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack - Tonight I Celebrate My Love
- Gladys Knight And The Pips - You're Number One (In My Book)
- Herbie Hancock - Rockit
- New Edition - Is This The End
- Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody
- The Gap Band - Party Train
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next September 17If September 17, 1983 is your birthday you're 37 years, 13 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 11 months, 18 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?
Frequently Asked Questions
What day of the week was on September 17, 1983?
On September 17, 1983 the day of the week was Saturday.
What zodiac sign is September 17, 1983?
On September 17, 1983 the zodiac sign was Virgo.
Who was the US President on September 17, 1983?
On September 17, 1983 the US President was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Who was the UK Prime Minister on September 17, 1983?
On September 17, 1983 the UK Prime Minister was Margaret Thatcher (Conservative).
Who was the Pope on September 17, 1983?
On September 17, 1983 Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
Which famous people are born on September 17, 1983?
On September 17, 1983 several famous people were born including, Jennifer Pena, Dustin Ferrer, Gabrielle Ferrer.
Which famous people died on September 17, 1983?
Famous people died on September 17, 1983 include, Humberto Madeiros.
What was the number one song in September 17, 1983?
The number one song in the week of September 17, 1983 was Maniac by Michael Sembello in US and Red Red Wine by UB40 in UK.
What were the top hits on September 17, 1983?
The top hits on September 17, 1983 were Maniac by Michael Sembello, Tell Her About It by Billy Joel, The Safety Dance by Men Without Hats in US and Red Red Wine by UB40, Karma Chameleon by Culture Club, Tonight I Celebrate My Love by Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack in UK.