Friday 17 September 1971
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Annika Duckmark and David Hynes.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Go Away Little Girl by Donny Osmond.
In UK Hey Girl Don't Bother Me by The Tams was in the top 5 hits.
The Man Who Haunted Himself, directed by Basil Dearden, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
while The New Centurions by Joseph Wambaugh was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Boy from Space.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Computer Space or The Oregon Trail.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1971!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1971 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Annika Duckmark: Miss Universe - Sweden (1996).
- David Hynes: Australian baseball outfielder (1996 Olympics).
- Octus Polk: NFL guard (Chicago Bears).
- Paul Janssen: Soccer player (Fortuna S, NAC).
- Adriana Sklenarikova: Slovak supermodel.
- Ian Whyte (actor): Welsh actor and basketball player
- Nate Berkus: American interior designer, author, TV host and television personality. He runs the Chicago interior design firm Nate Berkus Associates and has been a regularly featured guest on The Oprah Winfrey Show, offering design advice to viewers, as well as coordinating surprise make-overs for people's homes. He has released numerous lines of products, and authored several books.
- Adriana Karembeu: Slovakian fashion top-model and occasionally actress, she holds a Guiness record for longest legs (1.24m). She is widely known for her action at the French Red Cross. While studying medicine in Prague, she won a modelling contest. Also known for participating in TV programs such as "Rendez-vous en terre inconnue" and "Les pouvoirs extraordinaires du corps humain (with Michel Cymès) where she behaves like a sportwoman.
- Jens Voigt: German professional cyclist racer known for his propensity to attack, his exceptional longevity, and as multilanguage and mediatised person. He wore twice the yellow jersey in the Tour de France. Since 2012, he has belonged to the Radioshack-Nissan team, formerly created by Lance Armstrong (born 18 September 1971) as Radioshack.
- Mike Catt: South African-English rugby player and coach
- Steve Kerrigan: American businessman and politician
- Mauro Milanese: Italian footballer and manager
- Ian Whyte: Welsh basketball player and actor
- Andy Edwards: English footballer
- Carlos Lamarca: Brazilian military turned guerrilla leader (Born 1937).
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1971 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Donny Osmond - Go Away Little Girl
- Rod Stewart - Maggie May
- Aretha Franklin - Spanish Harlem
- Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine
- Paul & Linda McCartney - Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey
- The Undisputed Truth - Smiling Faces Sometimes
- Rare Earth - I Just Want To Celebrate
- Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
- Bee Gees - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
- Dramatics - Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?