Saturday 17 September 1960
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 17, 1960). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Damon Hill and Frédéric Pierrot.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to It's Now Or Never by Elvis Presley.
In UK Apache by The Shadows was in the top 5 hits.
Tormented, directed by Bert I. Gordon, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while I Kid You Not by Jack Paar was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Our House.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1960
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1960!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1960 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Damon Hill: English race car driver and 1996 F1 world champion.
- Frédéric Pierrot: French actor.
- Elsebeth Egholm
- John Franco: Brooklyn, New York -- Pitcher (NY Mets).
- Hank Baran: San Diego, California -- Canadian Tour golfer (1988 Won Mexican).
- Alan Krueger: American economist and academic.
- Terry Nihen: Concord, Massachusetts -- Playmate (December, 1983).
- Kevin Clash: American actor and puppeteer.
- John Bottomley: Canadian singer-songwriter (d. 2011).
- Jose Sancho Marraco: Composer, dies at 81.
- Cuba nationalizes American-owned banks.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Brook Benton - Kiddio
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Ike & Tina Turner - A Fool In Love
- Sugar Pie DeSanto - I Want To Know
- Hank Ballard And The Midnighters - Finger Poppin' Time
- Etta James - If I Can't Have You
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Jackie Wilson - A Woman, A Lover, A Friend
- Sam Cooke - Chain Gang
- Hank Ballard And The Midnighters - The Twist
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?