Sunday 17 September 1972
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Allen Williams and Darrius Johnson.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Black & White by Three Dog Night.
In UK Mama Weer All Crazee Now by Slade was in the top 5 hits.
The Last House on the Left, directed by Wes Craven, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while A Portion For Foxes by Jane McIlvaine McClary was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching George.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hunt the Wumpus or Hunt the Wumpus.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1972!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1972 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Allen Williams: NFL running back (Detroit Lions).
- Darrius Johnson: NFL defensive back (Denver Broncos - Super Bowl 32).
- Brian Henry: American poet.
- Bobby Lee: American comedian actor and screenwriter.
- Akim Tamiroff: Actor (Hotel Paradisio, Lord Jim), dies at 72.
- M*A*S*H, premieres on NBC TV
- BART begins passenger service in San Francisco
- Sandra Haynie wins LPGA Quality First Golf Classic
- Tanzania troops march in to Uganda
- Uganda announces that there are Tanzanian troops in its territory.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Three Dog Night - Black & White
- Mac Davis - Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (Naturally)
- Chicago - Saturday In The Park
- The O'Jays - Back Stabbers
- The Hollies - Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)
- Gary Glitter - Rock And Roll (Part 2)
- Looking Glass - Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)
- Elton John - Honky Cat
- Al Green - I'm Still In Love With You
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 17 September 1972
- Atlanta Falcons - Chicago Bears : 37 - 21
- Cincinnati Bengals - New England Patriots : 31 - 7
- Green Bay Packers - Cleveland Browns : 26 - 10
- Houston Oilers - Denver Broncos : 17 - 30
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?