Thursday 18 June 1959
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Johnny Clary .
In that special week of June people in US were listening to The Battle Of New Orleans by Johnny Horton.
In UK Roulette by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Porgy and Bess, directed by Otto Preminger, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while How I Turned $1,000 Into A Million In Real Estate -- In My Spare Time by William Nickerson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 June 1959!
Which were the important events of 18 June 1959 ?
- Seychelles - National Day.
- Brazil - Chemist's Day.
- Father's Day, US, UK, Chile (2006).
- Autistic Pride Day, beginning in 2005.
- Johnny Clary: American wrestler and Ku Klux Klan leader (d. 2014).
- Ethel Barrymore [Blythe]: Actress (None but the lonely), dies at 79.
- 1st telecast transmitted from England to US
- First telecast transmitted from England to US.
- The film ''The Nun's Story'', based on the best-selling novel, is released. Audrey Hepburn stars as the title character she later says that this is her favorite film role. The film is a box-office hit, and is nominated for several Oscars.
- Sean Lemass becomes the third Taoiseach of Ireland.
- Convicted Manhattan Project spy Klaus Fuchs is released after only nine years in a British prison and allowed to emigrate to Dresden, East Germany where he resumes a scientific career.
- Elizabeth II (Queen of Canada) and U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower open the Saint Lawrence Seaway.
- ''Darby O'Gill and the Little People'', a film based on H.T. Kavanagh's short stories, is released in the U.S. by the Walt Disney Company after a world premiere in Ireland.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Lloyd Price - Personality
- Bobby Darin - Dream Lover
- Martin Denny - Quiet Village
- Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
- Dion and the Belmonts - A Teenager In Love
- Freddy Cannon - Tallahassee Lassie
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Edward Byrnes - Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)
- Franck Pourcel's French Fiddles - Only You
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?