Monday 18 September 1933
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Manfred Niehaus and Robert F Bennett.
The Private Life of Henry VIII., directed by Alexander Korda, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1933
while One More River by John Galsworth was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 September 1933!
Which were the important events of 18 September 1933 ?
- Also see September 18 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Chile - Independence Day (first junta 1810)
- RC Saints - Feast day of St Joseph of Cupertino and Methodius of Olympus
- In ancient Greece, the fifth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries.
- Manfred Niehaus: Composer.
- Robert F Bennett: (Sen-R-Utah).
- V L Ponomaryova: Cosmonaut.
- Valentina Leonidovna Ponomaryova: Cosmonaut (Vostok 6 backup).
- Robert Foster Bennett: American senator (Utah).
- Robert Blake in Nutley: New Jersey, USA; actor (Baretta, Little Rascals, Coast to Coast).
- Jimmie Rodgers in Washington: USA; country singer ("Honeycomb").
- Robert Blake: American actor, a child star in the "Our Gang" film comedies at the age of six who rounded out the ‘40s as the plucky Indian boy in the popular western movie series "Red Ryder." Starting out as Mickey Gubitosi, he took the stage name of Bobby Blake in 1940, though he continued to use his birth name in the "Our Gang" series for another three years. He was an adult star of "In Cold Blood," 1967, "Tell Them Willie Boy is Here," 1969 and the "Baretta" TV series; a career marked by ups and downs.
- Jimmy Rodgers: American singer and songwriter who was an overnight success with his first recorded hit in 1957 that sold a million copies, "Honeycomb." He recorded 31 LPs that included six gold singles and one gold album, appeared on TV shows and had his own TV variety show, by 1986.
- Bob Bennett: American soldier and politician
- Scotty Bowman: NHL player / coach (Montreal Canadiens)
- Mark di Suvero: Italian-American sculptor
- Leonid Kharitonov: Russian actor and singer
- Christopher Ricks: English scholar and critic
- Charles Roach: Trinidadian-Canadian lawyer and activist (d. 2012)
- Jimmie Rodgers: American singer-songwriter and guitarist
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?