Tuesday January 20, 1970
US date format: 1/20/1970, UK date format: 20/1/1970
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aquarius (see birth chart on January 20, 1970). The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Harold Wilson (Labour), Pope St Paul VI was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Skeet Ulrich and Branka Katic.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head by B.J. Thomas.
In UK Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris was in the top 5 hits.
Patton, directed by Franklin J. Schaffner, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The French Lieutenant'S Woman by John Fowles was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Atakku no. 1.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of January 20, 1970?
- Astrology: First day of sun sign Aquarius.
- Saint Fabian
- See more
- Super Fight, computer mock championship between Muhammed Ali and Marciano.
- 20th NBA All-Star Game: East beats West 142-135 at Philadelphia.
- The Greater London Council announces its plans for the Thames Barrier at Woolwich to prevent flooding (the barrier opens in 1981).
- Five lifeboatmen are killed when a Fraserburgh, Scotland vessel, ''The Duchess of Kent'', capsizes.
- See more
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 20, 1970?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- B.J. Thomas - Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head
- The Shocking Blue - Venus
- The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
- Diana Ross and the Supremes - Someday We'll Be Together
- Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
- Peter, Paul and Mary - Leaving on A Jet Plane
- Elvis Presley - Don't Cry Daddy
- Tom Jones - Without Love (There Is Nothing)
- Tommy Roe - Jam Up Jelly Tight
- Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Fall In Love Again
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
- Diana Ross & The Supremes - Someday We'll Be Together
- James Brown - Ain't It Funky Now (Part 1)
- Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Point It Out
- Johnnie Taylor - Love Bones
- James Brown - Let A Man Come In And Do The Popcorn (Part Two)
- Eddie Holman - Hey There Lonely Girl
- Sly & The Family Stone - Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin/Everybody Is A Star
- Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - What You Gave Me
- Jr. Walker & The All Stars - These Eyes
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next January 20If January 20, 1970 is your birthday you're 50 years, 8 months, 1 day old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 3 months, 30 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free