Wednesday 21 October 1959
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include George Bell in the Dominican Republic outfielder (Toronto Blue Jays and George Bell.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Mack The Knife by Bobby Darin.
In UK Mack The Knife by Bobby Darin was in the top 5 hits.
The Mouse That Roared, directed by Jack Arnold, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Years With Ross by James Thurber was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mr. Lucky.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 October 1959!
Which were the important events of 21 October 1959 ?
- Republic of China - Overseas Chinese Day
- French Republican Calendar - Tonneau (Barrel) Day, thirtieth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- In the comic novel Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, the Earth was born on this day in 4004 BC, within a quarter of an hour of 9 in the morning. This was supposedly because God liked to get things over with early.
- R.C. saints - Saint Ursula and her 11 (or 11000) virgins; Saint Hilarion
- Trafalgar Day ? celebrated throughout much of the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th Century.
- Also see October 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- International Day of the Nacho ? celebrated in the United States and Mexico since the early 1990s.
- Diwali in India (2006)
- George Bell in the Dominican Republic outfielder (Toronto Blue Jays: 1987 American League Most Valuable Player).
- George Bell: American baseball player who was a veteran slugger with the Toronto Blue Jays from 1980-1990, holding a number of club records.
- Ken Watanabe: Japanese actor.
- Tony Ganios: American actor director and producer.
- Rose McDowall: Scottish singer-songwriter and guitarist (Strawberry Switchblade Spell and Current 93).
- Andy Picheta: English director producer and screenwriter
- Kevin Sheedy: Welsh-Irish footballer and manager
- Contra revolutionaries bomb Havana
- Guggenheim Museum, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, opens (NYC)
- Players Association approves 2 All-Star Games in 1960, to be held in Kansas City and New York
- In New York City, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum of contemporary art, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, opens to the public.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs an executive order transferring Wernher von Braun and other German scientists from the United States Army to NASA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Paul Anka - Put Your Head On My Shoulder
- The Fleetwoods - Mr. Blue
- Sandy Nelson - Teen Beat
- The Everly Brothers - ('Til) I Kissed You
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- Andy Williams - Lonely Street
- The Coasters - Poison Ivy
- Frankie Avalon - Just Ask Your Heart
- The Browns - The Three Bells
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?