Friday 9 October 1959
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Giorgio Vanzetta and Boris Nemtsov.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Mack The Knife by Bobby Darin.
In UK Only Sixteen by Craig Douglas was in the top 5 hits.
Pillow Talk, directed by Michael Gordon, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Elements Of Style by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Detectives.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 October 1959!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 9 October 1959 ?
- Giorgio Vanzetta: Italian skier, an Olympic Bronze and Silver medal champion, winning the Bronze for 15 km long distance and the Silver for the relay race at Albertville in February 1992.
- Boris Nemtsov: Russian academic and politician First Deputy Prime Minister of Russia (d. 2015).
- Mike Singletary: NFL middle linebacker (Chicago Bears).
- Michael Cobley: English-born Scottish writer.
- 1st phone call between auto and plane (Delaware)
- Lee Harvey Oswald arrives in Southampton
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Paul Anka - Put Your Head On My Shoulder
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- The Everly Brothers - ('Til) I Kissed You
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Sandy Nelson - Teen Beat
- Lloyd Price - I'm Gonna Get Married
- The Fleetwoods - Mr. Blue
- Johnny and the Hurricanes - Red River Rock
- The Coasters - Poison Ivy
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?