Thursday 1 October 1959
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Eric Alver and Lisa Gordenstein.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Sleep Walk by Santo and Johnny.
In UK Only Sixteen by Craig Douglas was in the top 5 hits.
Pillow Talk, directed by Michael Gordon, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hawaiian Eye.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1959!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1959 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Eric Alver: American mid-western stand-up comic, slapstick.
- Lisa Gordenstein: American employee of TJX Companies, an assistant vice-president and merchandising manager, killed in the crash of American Airlines Flight 11 when it impacted New York’s World Trade Center on 9/11/2001.
- Mark Aizlewood: Welsh footballer and manager.
- Brian Cleary: American author and poet.
- Youssou N'Dour: Senegalese singer-songwriter actor and politician.
- Enrico de Nicola: 1st President of the Italian Republic (Born 1877).
- 1st World Series since 1948 not to feature a New York team (LA vs. Chic)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 October 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- The Everly Brothers - ('Til) I Kissed You
- Lloyd Price - I'm Gonna Get Married
- Phil Phillips - Sea Of Love
- Paul Anka - Put Your Head On My Shoulder
- Johnny and the Hurricanes - Red River Rock
- Sandy Nelson - Teen Beat
- Sarah Vaughan - Broken-Hearted Melody
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?