Saturday 24 October 1959
It was Saturday, under the sign of Scorpio (see planets position on October 24, 1959). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Dominique Baert and Rowland S Howard.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Mack The Knife by Bobby Darin.
In UK Mack The Knife by Bobby Darin was in the top 5 hits.
The Wreck of the Mary Deare, directed by Michael Anderson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Shotgun Slade.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 24 October 1959
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1959!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1959 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- Dominique Baert: French politician, a member of the National Assembly of France who represents the Nord department.
- Rowland S Howard: Australian guitarist (The Birthday Party) (Born 1959).
- Al Yankovic: Comedian.
- Gunnar Bakke: Norwegian banker and politician 65th Mayor of Bergen.
- Mike Brewer: American baseball player.
- Chihiro Fujioka: Japanese director and composer.
- Michelle Grisham: American lawyer and politician.
- Rowland Howard: Australian guitarist and songwriter (The Birthday Party and These Immortal Souls) (d. 2009).
- Sam Raimi: Director.
- Dave Meltzer: American journalist and historian.
- Shawn Moody: American businessman and politician.
- Ruth Perednik: English-Israeli psychologist and academic.
- Denis Troch: French footballer and manager.
- Annette Vilhelmsen: Danish educator and politician Danish Minister of Social Affairs.
- Anthony Waller: Lebanese-English actor director producer and screenwriter.
- Brad Johnson: American model and actor.
- Nancy Grace: Journalist.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Paul Anka - Put Your Head On My Shoulder
- The Fleetwoods - Mr. Blue
- Sandy Nelson - Teen Beat
- The Everly Brothers - ('Til) I Kissed You
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- Andy Williams - Lonely Street
- The Coasters - Poison Ivy
- Frankie Avalon - Just Ask Your Heart
- The Browns - The Three Bells
Top #10 R&B songs
- Jackie Wilson - You Better Know It
- The Coasters - Poison Ivy
- Phil Phillips With The Twilights - Sea Of Love
- Nina Simone - I Loves You, Porgy
- Sarah Vaughan - Broken-Hearted Melody
- Bo Diddley - Say Man
- Dee Clark - Hey Little Girl
- Lloyd Price - I'm Gonna Get Married
- Johnny And The Hurricanes - Red River Rock
- Santo & Johnny - Sleep Walk
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?